Savarino Companies was founded in 2001 and has since grown into one of the leading construction, development and property management firms in Western New York. Our mission is to be the preferred builder, developer and property manager in the markets we serve, and through our experience and integrity, provide value to our clients, our partners and our community. We’re on the scene to get the job done — and to deliver it on time and on budget. We don’t offer excuses. Just results.
We are seeking an experienced Construction Estimator that will complement our growing team and support our Business Development, Development and Preconstruction staff.
The Construction Estimator’s role on each project is dependent on the service being provided by Savarino (General Construction, Design-Build, Construction Manager as Advisor, Construction Manager at Risk, Program Management, etc.). The Construction Estimator must be capable of successfully leading estimating efforts for each of these roles. Specific responsibilities include:
- Analyze all drawings and specifications to ensure required documentation is complete and available.
- Develop requests for information when documentation is insufficient. Communicate and follow up with design consultants to expedite responses. In certain service arrangements, guide the architect’s response to be within the parameters established by previous documentation with the owner (ex. allowances established within a GMP).
- Assist in preparing addendums to bid documents as necessary. Distribute and document the exchange of addendums and supplementary instructions with the bidding community.
- Prepare bid packages. Solicit specific project pricing from vendors and/or sub-contractors and compare/analyze/negotiate competitive subcontract and supplier bids quickly in time sensitive situations.
- Review quotes and estimates and prepare recommendations to award with proper documentation to substantiate your recommendations.
- Accurately develop cost models at multiple stages of design development (conceptual, schematic, 50% CD’s, etc.).
- Identify and report on current material and labor prices, including escalation factors within the marketplace.
- Develop meaningful value engineering contributions to reduce price.
- Reconcile quantity surveys with consultants and design team.
- Develop clear and concise conceptual pricing assumptions, clarifications and allowances with sound documentation for the basis of the estimate.
- Interface with clients to explain and substantiate the logic behind the estimated costs put forth and be able to analyze and explain when the actual costs do not fall within the budgeted amount.
- Develop preliminary project logistics plans and project schedules sufficient to estimate the cost of performing the work and provide the owner with an idea of how we plan to perform the work.
- Collaborate with construction operations staff as needed and clarify the assumptions that were made to arrive at the plans proposed.
- Provide detailed general condition estimates and coordinate with construction operations staff when required to support cost estimates.
- Perform all tasks associated with meeting the good faith efforts necessary for meeting the M/WBE utilization goals for a project ensure that the cost of meeting these goals are incorporated into the final estimate for the work.
- Complete all bid forms, utilization plans, and provide all other regulatory documentation required by the instructions to bidders.
- Identify and prioritize what tasks need to be performed by the estimating team for each client and delegate tasks to estimating support staff effectively to support those priorities and ensure timelines are met for all deliverables requested.
- Participate in business development pursuits and presentations.
- Train and develop estimating staff.
- Participate in the review of existing estimating processes and propose changes to policies, procedures, and technology that can increase efficiencies and/or provide a better product to the client.
- Coordinate and manage the design of a project to fit within the established budget.
- Collaborate with architects and engineers on Construction Manager at Risk and Design-Build projects to avoid scope creep and other potential impacts to the budget.
The ideal candidate possesses the following experience/education/knowledge/skills/qualifications:
- Minimum 5-10 years relevant experience in the construction estimating field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or other related concentration preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Proficient in the following software platforms:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Quantity takeoff software (On-Screen Takeoff, etc.).
- Estimating software (RS Means, Etc.).
- Project Management software (Procore, Submittal Exchange, Etc.).
- Scheduling software (Microsoft Project, Primavera, Etc.).
- Various BIM platforms (AutoCAD, Navisworks, Revit, Etc.).
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Employment: Full Time
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, and Paid Time Off (PTO).