Apply by filling out the form here.
The Project Estimator is responsible for development of complete estimates for both preconstruction budgeting, and competitive bidding on construction projects ranging in size from $1 to $30 million in contract value. Daily responsibilities include subcontractor proposal solicitation, quantity survey/take-off, material/labor pricing, and final summarization of costs for proposals or bids.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to read and understand construction documents.
- Requires communication with both subcontractors and clients.
- Collaboration with project team member including architects and owners will be necessary.
- Multi-tasking skills, estimator will be required to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail oriented with good problem-solving skills.
- General understanding of construction methods, practices, and estimating procedures.
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office(including excel) is required. Proficiency with estimating software preferred (IE: On screen take off, cost databases, Procore, etc).
Duties and Responsibilities
The follow duties will be performed in two different types of project delivery methods. The preconstruction delivery method is where the company works with the design team and owner to establish a cost for the project. The other method is where the company is competitively bidding a project for a public or private owner.
- Perform quantity survey and take-off
- Solicit subcontractor and supplier pricing.
- Coordinate with subcontractors to meet project requirements.
- Prepare detailed estimate deliverables in a clear and concise format that is consistent with company practices.
- Develop strategic relationships with the subcontractor community to ensure competitive pricing for projects.
- Review information and prepare questions requiring additional information or clarification.
- Evaluate subcontractor proposals for accuracy and completeness for use in estimates.
- Prepare scope of work documents and clarification documents.
- Accurately price labor and material costs.
- Prepare preliminary schedules and understand construction activity durations.
- Work with marketing and business development to produce technical data for proposals.
- Assemble and summarize pricing on bid day.
- Effectively present cost data to internal teams as well as owner/architect team.
- Refine cost information as it evolves through phases of design: conceptual, schematic, design development, and construction documents.
- Assess constructability, scheduling, and coordination issues prior to construction.
- Assist the project management team in buyout of subcontractors and purchase orders.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type and Expected Work Hours
This is a full-time position with a typical 40-hour work week. Position may require extra hours to meet deadlines. Daily start and finish times have some flexibility except when they conflict with estimate deadlines.
Some travel will be required from time to time for pre-bid meetings, estimate review meetings, and to inspect existing conditions at project sites prior to estimating. Most projects will be located within 50 miles of the main office.